By planting a tree this Ramadan, you can receive endless rewards! This act of charity is also a form of Sadaqah Jariyah, meaning it has ongoing rewards and benefits. For every person who eats from the tree you plant, you can get rewarded for it, and for every person or animal who takes shade or shelter under the tree, you will also be rewarded for this. It is such a simple act of charity yet so high in reward, SubhanAllah!
Rewards of Planting a Tree
In Islam, planting a tree can be a very virtuous act.
The Prophet Muhammad said, “Whenever Muslims plant a tree, they will earn the reward of charity because of the food that comes from it; and likewise, what is stolen from it, what the wild beasts eat out of it, what the birds eat out of it, and what people take from it is charity for them” (Muslim)
The Prophet (PBUH) is also reported to have said, “Muslims will always earn the reward of charity for planting a tree, sowing a crop and then birds, humans, and animals eat from it” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
It is important to remember that giving charity does not negatively affect you. In fact, it increases your status in the eyes of Allah (SWT) and has many benefits. Muhammad, upon him, be peace, said: “Charity does not in any way decrease the wealth and the servant who forgives, Allah adds to his respect; and the one who shows humility, Allah elevates him in the estimation (of the people).” (Muslim)
As well as this, giving charity also protects one from hellfire, as seen in the hadith: Prophet Muhammad, upon him, be peace, said, “Protect yourself from hellfire even by giving a piece of date as charity.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)
Planting a tree is an act of Sadaqah Jariyah. Acts of Sadaqah Jariyah can include:
- Planting trees – food-bearing crops can sustain communities and families for months and years, so it has an ongoing benefit.
- Giving a wheelchair to a hospital – for every person who uses it, you will be rewarded.
- Teaching someone beneficial knowledge – as they pass it on, you also get the reward. E.g., teaching children the religion of Islam. This is an ongoing cycle.
- Gifting Islamic books to a friend – every time they read from it or learn something from it, you get the reward. It is also recommended to gift each other gifts out of love!
- Build a water well – this enables families and villages to have access to clean drinking water. These are urgently needed in places of poverty and drought.
Plant a Tree This Ramadan
This Ramadan, you can plant an olive tree to reap the rewards of such an act. Every time a person eats from the tree, they can gain rewards, even after they have passed away. Make the right intention, purely for Allah’s (SWT) sake, and donate today!
You can also choose to donate on behalf of someone else or a deceased person who will be able to receive the reward for your actions. Donate this Ramadan to reap the rewards of Sadaqah Jariyah.